Monday 1 February 2010

Tasty But Tardy - Vegematarians look away!


Mmmm, roast chicken. Classic favourite. You actually can't go wrong, it always tastes brilliant. Lemon, garlic, thyme and parsely up the bum, rub salty peppery deliciousness into skin, and away you go!

Made a mushroom gravy, including lashings of white wine, stock, bay leaves, more thyme, etc etc. Gravy makes everything good.

Roasted veggies, esp shallots and new potatoes. Weeeeeeeee

Don't forget the peas. I cannot eat/cook/look at/think about peas without thinking about The Simpsons. With a knife.

The finished product. Notice excessive amounts of mushroom gravy. Ain't no other way I tells ya.

One of the all-time best soups in the world. No process shots I'm afraid, it's finished product or nothing. Turkey, lentil and vegetable soup, with a tomato-curry flavoured broth. It's so chunky, it's pretty much a stew. Winter staple.

There is absolutely nothing better than making a huge batch of this on the weekend, then knowing that no matter how long and tedious your day turns out to be, you have this deliciousness waiting for you at home.

It should be noted that I actually took these shots for the blog a good few months ago, was going to add more - but hey - I can always edit and add later, when I can be arsed.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Please send/post recipe for that insane looking soup. Now. Do it.

That chicken looks absolutely divine. Did you happen to use any smoked salt in the process?

Mezzle said...

This chicken was roasted long before I knew about the existence of said magical salt. Trust me when I say the next chicken will by smothered in smoked salty goodness!

Turkey leg soup recipe on its way.

Heather Anders said...

cannot find awesome smoked salt here. W. T. F.

i second turket recipe request. THough that white stuff dont look particularly low GI friendly (ARGH. can you believe Im dieting!? after polandski?! For no other reason that dress meausurements were given in late november, pre- goose fat december. Add a small dash of paranoia... no chocolate or yummy white stuff for me!.... unless low fat creme fraiche?!?!? please tell me so)

Philippa said...

I am with Beth (Buffy? I feel like I know her. I'm calling her Buffy.) I want recipe for the soup. Now please. Why are you still sitting there reading? Start typing the soup recipe dammit.

It's too hot for soup right now though. Tee hee! (sorry - couldn't resist). Mum's coming over this weekend for her birthday, it's going to be nice. Wish you could be here!

xxx

Alex and Alex Aranchikov said...

OMG - all this food posting is sending my pre-natal tastebuds into an absolute frenzy........that said, I am a glutton for punishment and keep 'em coming.
Oi! To be all in the same city - Feather to cook up a goose, Mez to make her vege lasagne..........OK lunchtime!
xox

Mezzle said...

Heather - low fat greek yoghurt, or creme fraiche work equally well. I would never use cream in this - you need something acidic to cut through the richness. Low fat all the way.