Saturday 11 June 2011

Ch ch ch ch changes

Before I inundate this site with photo after photo of gorgeous Provencal countryside, stunning Corsican vistas, and cheese-stuffed individuals a little update on current working/living situation.  Bullet point for brevity:

1.  Edinburgh is hovering around the 10 degree daytime highs and pishing rain one should by now expect, yet is still disappointed to experience, in the summery month of June.  I am sitting in my chilly living room in uggs, hoodie and two blankets.  I can't say I'm surprised, but it's all the more difficult when you've just come back from sunny southern France.

2. The laundry hamper is too frighteningly enormous to even contemplate right now.  So I'm not.  I don't even have the space inside to dry everything since the drizzle outside eliminates the garden as an option.  I'm not losing sleep over it, but I do worry about what I'm going to be wearing in a few days time.  Do you think it's acceptable to rock up for work in pj bottoms and a modesty-saving apron?

3. Speaking of work, when I got back on Wednesday, I knew I'd have a fair bit to catch up on after 10 days away.  It's usually no biggie, just a couple of days of madness before things settle back down.  But it looks like the all shook up feeling will be staying around a while.  I've been asked to take on a new role for the next few months helping out the directors with the implementation of various projects.  Just general PA (ie stuff that nobody else can be bothered to do) duties, but a change is a change and I'm looking forward to doing something different.  However, this also means we need to find someone to cover my usual duties for the next few months, which in turn means trying to make sense of what I do in such a way that it can be explained to a newbie.  Don't get me wrong, it's not rocket science, but it's just another thing to do on top of the mounting list of tasks given to me by the Operations Director.

Will keep you posted.

4. Stu starts his new job this coming week, he's been out of work for about 5 weeks now, and although he's been keeping busy, he's also been going a little stir crazy spending so much time at home in front of a computer doing applications.  If it were me, I'd spend the majority of my day doing anything, ANYTHING else.  I would rather clean the toilet than surf job sites and call bloody recruitment agents.  But Stu's a machine, he's like the terminator of jobseekers.  He just keeps relentlessly pursuing -dismounts a motorcycle, whips off his aviators, bends down to the driver's window, shoving papers in some poor shmoe's face: 'Have you seen this CV?'.

Hopefully this new job won't actually be anything long term (pest control with Edinburgh City Council - how random can you get?!), because Stu is also one of those people who will continue to apply for jobs despite having only just taken on something new.  I have to admire him for it - until he gets exactly what he wants, he'll keep on trucking, peddling his wares to anyone who'll listen.  He's hoping to score a role within the Scottish goverment's agricultural officers department.  They have posts all over Scotland, but he's limited by little ol' me.  See, I refuse to consider living in Golspie.  Look it up on google maps, I believe that may clarify any uncertainty.  Colder, further north, golfing haven of 1650 people?  Dreamy.

Smooches,

Mez


  

2 comments:

B said...

1. I'm sorry I can't send sunshine your way.

2. Laundry, shmaundry! If you do rock that outfit to work I expect photos!

3. Wow! Changes indeed! Good on you though!Does this mean you get to boss people around? Cause that's the best.

4. Good luck to Stu-fart for his new job ridding E-burger of its vermin and pests - can he wear a Ghost-buster-like suit? That would be awesome.

Looking forward to photos from Corsica and southern travels
x

Laura said...

Just love you Mez. That's all. oxo